Monday, September 7, 2009

A Statement of Purpose

As I have actively been beginning to write film criticism, it has occurred to me that, in order to honor my individually labeled 'Balanced Film Commentary,' I need to formulate a standard design specifying the basis for my criticism - a design that I may refer to in order to preserve my filmic evaluation as sincere and culturally trustworthy.  Below I have briefly itemized the foundation for what I wish to be a thoroughly genuine avowal of purpose.

My film analysis will be decidedly focused on filmmaking in the 21st century.  No comparisons to movies of other eras will be made because, while genuinely respectable during their time, they echo and relate themes of eras past and it would not be beneficial to subject films of the 21st century to a horde of great films made in recent or aged history.  That said, films will be compared against other films within their genre.  To elaborate, R-rated comedies are eligible to be contrasted with other R-rated comedies, science-fiction films with other science fiction films, animated films with other animated films, etc.  It would not be fair to compare a movie such as 'No Country for Old Men' with, say, 'Wolverine.'  This is a practice similar to the famed movie critic, Roger Ebert.

Yet, what differentiates my commentary from his is this: from my perspective, a movie's worth as a totality is based not only upon the aforementioned criteria, but also on it's reflection and interpretation of contemporary society - depending on the country of origin, the 'society' in question is qualified to waver.

As is obvious, aesthetics, mise-en-scene, and formal and technical execution will also be taken into account.

Please comment and let me know what you think of this proposal.

1 comment:

  1. I like the 21st Century-focused direction that you are heading in. I agree, it really is unfair to compare contemporary films to those of the past. Also, I'm glad that you are not neglecticing the technical details. I was getting a bit worried that this would entirely be thematic and top-down.

    ReplyDelete